MEMB

Museo Etnologico Monza e Brianza - il nuovo sito del MEMB ├Ę in fase di aggiornamento

English

28 giugno 2016

Historical news

On the oldest map of Monza, made in 1722, by Giovanni Filippini, the building of Mulino Colombo, at that time called “ S.Gerardino’s mill” was formed by two different buildings, built along the river which in that point was divided into three branches.
Between the two buildings, there was a space called the “gora”, in which water wheels were inserted, which gave energy to the mills. Only in Antonio Falda’s map of 1855 it is possible to see the two buildings united, as they are  today, with its peculiar U form.
The first certain date, which deals with the production of the oil in the building, is the one marked on the mail: 1871.
Furthermore, the Colombo Mill, as others mills of that type, dealt with fulling (the beating of the wool in the water to make it more compact) and dying. This mill was already a thriving activity at the time of the family of San Gerardo dei Tintori.
In 1910 sir Colombo, native from Asso, where he already had another mill, took over the activity from Sir Giuseppe Bonsaglio and bought the entire building.
In 1936 the wheel was removed and the whole production was electrified, in order to make all the machines work.
The activity ended with the death of Mario in 1969. His sister Antonietta sold her part of the property, in 1987 and donated to the municipality two locals of the press.
The management of the Colombo Mill in 1997 was given by the municipality of Monza to the Ethnologic Museum.

Photogallery

Vai a pagina

di 1